Do You Need a Divorce Lawyer for a Legal Separation?
This is a question divorce lawyers in Las Vegas get asked almost every day. Most clients think a legal separation is easier, or cheaper than a divorce. Others think a legal separation is needed to leave a home, or to transition through a divorce.
Legal separations are typically easier and cheaper compared to a divorce. A Clark County divorce, if contested, can take 6 or 8 months and cost tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees. Legal separations are typically agreed to, so they are quicker and cost much less. Legal separations do have a few quirks. For a full discussion on whether to file a divorce or a legal separation you should read legal separation versus divorce.
This is not the only question we get every day. Client’s going through a divorce or child custody matter have dozens, if not more. The questions will typically fall into one of five categories; divorce process, child custody, child support, division of property, and spousal support. Most clients have never gone through a divorce or custody hearing, so they have questions. I have been told by therapists, getting the answers is part of the “uncoupling” process. By finding the answers to your questions, it eases the anxiety of the unknown.
Eighty percent of what we do as Las Vegas divorce attorneys is answer questions. We have been through thousands of Las Vegas divorce cases and child custody matters. So, we have seen and been asked just about everything. Let’s share some of our experience by answering the most common questions we get.
- Can we file divorce paperwork ourselves?
- Should I file divorce papers first?
- What is the divorce process?
- How much does a divorce cost?
- What is an uncontested divorce?
- My name is on the house, can I change the locks?
- We keep separate bank accounts, do we divide them?
- Who pays the bills during the divorce?
- How do we separate the assets and debts?
- Do I really need to divide my 401(k) or pension?
- Will my spouse have to pay spousal support?
- They cheated, will the court give me more spousal support?
- They caused the divorce, will she pay the attorney fees?
- Do judges prefer mothers over fathers?
- Can I relocate out of Las Vegas, NV with the children?
- I take care of the kids, will I get primary custody?
- If I leave the house, am I abandoning my kids?
- How do you calculate child support?
For the last 15 years we have helped thousands with their divorce, legal separation or custody matter. We have 4 attorneys, with a combined 40 years of family law experience. We have two locations in Nevada; Las Vegas and Henderson. We charge a fixed fee instead of hourly. We have one purpose; to help you get through your divorce or custody matter.
The assistance of a top divorce attorney can make all the difference between an easy “uncoupling” or a “divorce war.” Some attorneys are only interested in stirring the pot because it increases the fees. It’s one of the reasons we charge a fixed fee instead of hourly. Sure we need to make a profit, but our attorneys are more interested in helping, than collecting fees.
Thinking of taking the next step? Maybe you should call us and schedule a consultation. Our Las Vegas divorce lawyers will help answer all your questions. If a consult seems too serious, a good option is to download our Divorce & Child Custody Guide. The guide is filled with a ton of information about the divorce process, explains all the legal jargon, and answers the most asked questions.