When parents are not able to properly care for a child, relatives of that child or even non-relatives who have a close relationship with that child may be able to obtain legal guardianship over the child. Guardianship effectively grants legal authority to an adult over a minor child, and it can be temporary or permanent, depending on the specific details of a given case.
Because the guardianship cases can be complex and contentious, it’s crucial that people who are seeking guardianship – as well as those who may be trying to fight someone’s attempts to obtain guardianship over their children – retain the Right Lawyers to advocate their rights and interests.
The Las Vegas and Henderson family law attorneys at Right Lawyers have extensive experience representing both parents and other relatives in guardianship cases, and we are dedicated to:
- Helping our clients obtain the best possible outcomes to these cases
- Making sure that a child’s best interests are also always advocated throughout the course of guardianship cases.
Although every guardianship case is unique, some common issues that may come up in these cases and provide grounds for a relative (or another individual close to the child) to obtain legal guardianship can include (but are not necessarily limited to):
- Allegations of a parent abusing a child
- Allegations of domestic violence in the household
- Allegations that a parent has a drug and/or alcohol addiction issue.
Guardianship cases may also arise when one or both parents may be incarcerated or, more tragically, when one or both parents may have passed away.
When any of the aforementioned issues may be impacting a child’s welfare and home life, any of the following individuals may be able to file for legal guardianship over that child:
- Aunts, uncles and/or cousins
- Older siblings (i.e., siblings who are at least 18 years old)
- Non-relatives who can establish that they have a close personal relationship with a child.
Do you need assistance obtaining guardianship of a child? Or do you need help fighting a guardianship petition so that you can maintain legal authority and custody of your children?
If so, you can trust the experienced Las Vegas and Henderson family law attorneys at the Right Lawyers to provide you with superior representation and legal services. For more than 14 years, our esteemed lawyers have been committed to standing up for our clients’ rights and interests so that they can obtain the best possible outcomes to their most important family law matters, including guardianship cases.
When you make the Right decision to move forward with the Right Lawyers, you can be confident that you will receive:
- Aggressive advocacy at every phase of your case
- Personalized attention, including regular case updates and honest answers about your best options as your case progresses
- The best possible resolution to your case.
Let’s talk about your guardianship case during an initial consultation. To set up a meeting with our trusted Las Vegas and Henderson family law attorneys, call (702) 914-0400 or email us using the contact form at the top of this page.
From our offices in Law Vegas, we represent clients throughout Clark County and the state of Nevada.